Enlightening Thoughts

Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Naughty" swear words: Where the fuck do they come from?

      If I was to say "My dog needs to take a poop." Would you think anything of it? What about if I used the word crap? Turd? No, still nothing? Ok what if I said shit. I have now crossed some imaginary line into profanity.
I have now entered the realm of horrible words that make parents cringe, children cry, and delicious milk go sour. What? How? What's the difference in these words? They were all used in the same context and they all have the same definition. These are all words, just words. For some reason, society has tagged certain words as bad. Who said they're bad? Who said all these synonyms for bodily waste were acceptable except for one?
      I can say "Screw that" all day long, but as soon as I replace it with "fuck" I have sworn? Again, the same example as above. Both words are completely interchangeable, so why does it matter which one I use? I will admit, swear words to have a more forceful sound, but is that only because we've been conditioned to hear them that way?
       Is it because swear words are usually used as an exclamation? "Shit! My toast got cold before I could butter it!". Well If that's the case, then ANY word used as an exclamation can be considered profane, since it has the same forcefulness, purpose and emotion of it's comparable swear word.
How do people think that using a replacement word is ok but saying the real word is not? Especially when the replacement word is purposefully meant to mimic the swear word. Some examples:
  "What the F (or eff)" -I wonder what the letter could be referring to
  "Shiz. Biotch" -both just one letter off from making your grandmother's ears bleed
  "This car is so B.A." -I don't think that stands for battery acid
And my favorite "F'ck that!", yes I've actually heard somebody say fuck but without the U sound. Yeah, really. These fake swear words run rampant in the religious community, as if it's some loophole to say something bad without going to hell for it. Guess what retards? You're still fucking swearing! You can't cheat a system that's based on the idea that god knows your thoughts and intentions, since it's obviously your intention to get as close to the "bad" word as possible. Go haze yourself now.
     The word "god" as a swear word is an interesting one. The reason why it's considered a swear word is obviously from the bible, as god said "Thou shalt not take my name in vain". But what if I don't believe in god? Or just don't believe in the christian version of god as depicted in the bible? Maybe I'm Buddhist. Is it still a swear word for me? No it's not. If you found out that some guy named Fransisco from Argentina (both made up names), said not to use the word "pants" because it's bad, would you listen to him? I wouldn't, because I don't who that is nor do I believe he really said that. God as a swear word is only dependant on the religious beliefs of the person using it.
     Then you have those people who claim that swearing is a sign of having a poor vocabulary or education. As I stated above, swear words are directly comparable and replaceable to their non-profane counterparts in both meaning and/or context. So if I said "crap" nobody would question the extent of my vocabulary, but if i wanted to use "shit" instead, all of a sudden I'm low-class and dumb? Maybe these people should get over their insecurities and pre-conceived judgements.
     So if you're reading this are you're one of the boarder-liners who's too much of a pussy to say what you want to say, to have your own thoughts and opinions about commonly and/or mindlessly accepted norms? If so, grow some balls, think for yourself and make a decision about what swearing really is.
Your words are you own. Your mind is free.

Kyle

2 comments:

  1. Morris, you have gone all kinds of nuts havnt you :p of course pants is bad! how dare you poke fun at Fransisco, Lord of freshly laundered pants!


    Im loving your inclusion of the go haze yourself...

    this is talley by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't understand what "shit' is BAD and 'crap' is OK! I say 'shit' and I am in TROUBLE! It happens regularly but they say crap all the time! I think CRAP sounds worse! This is my opinion. I am told that John "Crapper" invented the toilet so it's ok cause it's just shorting his name. This you KNOW what you mean by CRAP!

    ReplyDelete